Hochelaga-Maisonneuve, a perpetual up and comer, can tick one crucial item off the hip 'hood hit list: the district got a brand new swanky BYOB bistro this past week. Here is what we know about État-Major so far.
· The restaurant took over a former Café Van Houtte at 4005 Ontario Est, corner Jeanne d'Arc.
· Ownership consists of Vincent Chatelais and Dominic Laflamme, both partners in the successful Plateau BYOW Le Quartier Géneral. A Marie-Josée Cadieux is listed as the owner of the property.
· Despite the lack of alcohol permit, the restaurant has a long bar.
· Liberal use of the squeeze bottle technique, most notably here and here.
· Management threw a 5 à 7 to officially open the restaurant last week.
· Yet somehow this person ate vegan at the restaurant in mid-October.
· État-Major is far from a vegan restaurant, however.
· Reservations and walk-ins both welcome.
· Price per person is in the $30 to $50 range, before tax and tip.
· The restaurant seats 70.
· The restaurant is open Tuesday to Saturday, with two services, 6:00 p.m. and 9:00 p.m., on weekends.
· These two gentlemen will cook for you.
· Someone wore this sweater to the launch party.
· État-Major [Official Site]