Some additional pertinent details about the Marché 27 tartare case that has one woman in hospital in critical condition and six others with E. coli infections.
· The incident was first reported on by the CBC on January 10 but the restaurant in question was not known at the time.
· The name of the restaurant was withheld by Quebec's Ministry of Health and by the Ministry of Agriculture. In the wake of a recent E. coli-free inspection, the government still refuses to finger Marché 27 as the culprit.
· The most vulnerable victim, Véronique Roger, a nurse at the Jewish General oncology clinic, is "fighting for her life."
· Roger ate a sampler of tartares at Marché 27 in December. Her mother told a Le Journal de Montréal reporter yesterday that the family "almost lost her."
· Another victim, Val d'Or resident Isabelle St-Jean, ate veal tartare at Marché 27 before a Pink concert at Centre Bell on December 3. St-Jean also spoke to Le Journal de Montréal:
Pour elle, il est clair que le problème vient du restaurant Marché 27. "Et c'est dommage parce que j'aimais beaucoup y manger. Mais là, ça m'étonnerait que je goûte à nouveau un tartare dans ma vie."
· Seven incidents of E. coli contamination from one restaurant is unusual. The Canadian Food Inspection Agency typically sees 20 cases per annum, on average.
· In spite of it all, some Marché 27 customers were utterly nonchalant about the affair.
· Here, too, a complete statement of denial from Viandes Décarie, the division of food services giant Colabor that distributes beef to Marché 27.
· From last November: Colabor Group reassures clients about the recall of ground beef from Lauzon Meats division.
· Bonus: the official announcement of Colabor's purchase of Viandes Décarie in 2011.
· Bonus: Marché 27's Yelp page.
· Seven People Sick With E. coli From Montreal Restaurant [CJAD]
· E. coli Poisoning Leaves 7 Sick After Eating at Marché 27 [CBC]
· Marché 27 [Official Site]
· Bad Beef Mars Tartare at Marché 27 [-EMTL-]