Sarah Meublat, who blogs as uneparisiennesemerveille, has drawn inordinate scrutiny for a recent critique of Martin Picard and Cabane à Sucre Au Pied de Cochon.
In "Pourquoi je ne retournerai pas à la Cabane à sucre du Pied de Cochon" ("Why I Will Never Return to Cabane à Sucre Au Pied de Cochon"), Meublat compares the experience at the wildly unorthodox and popular sugar shack to hogs at a trough and expresses concern over portions and prices.
Here, six translated excerpts of note.
1. "The alarm bells ring among the candidates for this gourmet experience promised by the famous Montreal chef. Two minutes to complete an online form. A confirmation call that should not be missed, even if it occurs only after several months, under penalty of ceding your place at the trough."
2. "Arrival in Mirabel, about an hour's drive from Montreal. The muddy parking lot is full of cars. Shiny 4x4s, big family SUVs, BMWs, Minis ... all of Montreal and beyond can be found at the shack."
3. "After a thirty minute wait outside, we are summoned. Our table is ready. From the moment we push open the door, the brouhaha overtakes us. And with it, high school cafeteria memories."
4. "Why such a display of food if it inevitably ends either in takeout boxes or as slop for the pigs (raised there and fed the remains)? As the meal progressed, the more the smile on my face over this food orgy, mostly wasted, turned into a stupor. At a time when some parts of the world struggle with basic survival, I find this disgraceful display indecent. My fun and curiosity soon gave way to discomfort and shame."
5. "I have long since stopped believing that the world can be saved with the sweep of an arm, but this gargantuan orgy strikes me as a slap of indescribable arrogance."
6. "The meal put forth by Martin Picard seems like a big playground, where nothing is ever too much, never too bold, never over the top enough."
Meublat adds in the comments that "it's never easy to oppose such establishments. But all the messages I'm receiving confirm my feelings, so I guess I'm not the only one who went through this!"
· Pourquoi je ne retournerai pas à la Cabane à sucre du Pied de Cochon [Official Site]
· All Martin Picard Coverage [-EMTL-]