A macabre incident at Aux Vivres this past Friday has left a cook in his 20s without an arm. The accident took place at 9:30 a.m. when the man got his arm stuck in the feeder mechanism of a machine that makes pitas in the kitchen of the Mile End vegan restaurant. Paramedics on the scene were unable to dislodge the cook from the machine and took him to hospital with the apparatus in tow where surgeons had no choice but to amputate.
Aux Vivres principals Michael and Liam Makhan closed the restaurant Saturday and made a brief joint statement: "It has been an extremely difficult day for all of us at Restaurant Aux Vivres. This morning an Aux Vivres employee had a serious accident and was taken to hospital. He is an important member of our team and we are deeply affected by today's unfortunate event. Our thoughts are with him and his family, and we are committed to his recovery."
The Commission de la santé et de la sécurité du travail (CSST) is investigating the tragic mishap.
· Aux Vivres chef badly injured after getting arm caught in machine [CBC]
· Aux Vivres [Official Site]