· Mile-Ex's Manitoba is about to get a makeover, in more ways than one. The restaurant will close between October 12 and 22 to double its kitchen, and add a huge banquette, among other aesthetic upgrades. Manitoba has a new chef too—Michael Dalla Libera was formerly chef de cuisine at Nora Gray. The ITHQ grad replaces Chris Parasiuk, who left this past August, and is hard at work with Manitoba's co-owner, Elisabeth Cardin, to fashion a new menu for the restaurant.
· As we get deeper into fall, game is about to pop up at restaurants all over Montreal. Have a look at this prix fixe hunter's menu (November 3 and 4) from Little Italy's Hostaria.
· Sad news from the Mile End café scene. Club Social fixture Vincenzo Lucifero, whose sons run the popular Saint-Viateur Ouest coffee shop, has passed. A funeral service was held yesterday, and Club Social was duly closed.
· Mile End BYOB L'Atelier quietly closed this summer. Get the story here.
· Little Italy/Mile-Ex is about to get a new tea salon-café, called, appropriately, Teashop.
· Grenade, the Village cocktail and snack bar that opened a year ago from François Forest (Barraca, Helm, Rachel Rachel, Quai No. 4, Bar Inc., Taverne Normand, Monsieur Smith), has a new kitchen boss and a new focus. Thai chef Nongyao introduced her Bali beach food meets Bangkok street food menu on October 1.