A pillar of the Old Montreal bar scene has expanded beyond snacks with a lineup of lunchtime items. Philémon Bar's kitchen is now open Wednesday to Friday, 11:30 p.m. to 3 p.m.—Tuesday service will likely start next week. Bar manager and cocktail competitor Rachel Osborne describes it as casual, "with several delicious sandwiches and seasonal salads, great for takeout or eat-in. Our chef Misha Smarzik is very talented." The inaugural sandwich menu at the bar looks like this:
· Chicken salad with saffron mayo, celery, raisins, apple
· Capocollo, salami, mortadella, provolone, spicy eggplant, tomato, lettuce, balsamic
· Vegetarian sloppy joe with quinoa ragoût
· Roasted salmon with caper cream cheese, julienned beets, fennel
· Veal and pork meatballs with béchamel and fried shallots
Remember too, while we're mired in a late summer heat wave, that Philémon has a terrasse. And with that, your Old Montreal lunch options just got a little better.