1. Chez Tousignant, the new wave casse-croûte from Impasto's Stefano Faita, Michele Forgione, and Yann Turcotte, has taken an indefinite weekend breakfast hiatus. "It's on hold for now," says Forgione. "We've been stupid busy lately concentrating on lunch and supper. It's been insane." The chef-restaurateur reports that eggs, bacon, and pancakes may work themselves back in the rotation once business calms down. "For now though, it's all about burgers, hot dogs, and poutine."
2. Maïs, the buzzy Mile End taqueria and cocktail den, has a new menu as of this week.
3. Kimberly Lallouz (Miss Prêt à Manger, Resto-Bar Monsieur) recently took a research trip to New York to prepare for the launch of her new Montreal restaurant, Bird Bar. The fried chicken concept comes to Griffintown this spring.
4. The beer geeks at Brasserie Harricana have two new suds for customers to sample this week and next. The brewpub's 2-Sour Hop Session and 12-Vin d'Orge were made via the parti-gyle method, which, in simple terms, produces two beers from one batch of grain.
6. Some key news from Kinka, the popular 18 and over Faubourg Ste-Catherine izakaya. "The liquor license will be changed to a restaurant license soon, possibly from February or even earlier. There will be no age restrictions any more," management reports. Wonderful news for parents with karaage-crazy kids.
7. SoupeSoup downtown is about to move to new digs above the restaurant's current Crescent street space.
8. Anxious for news about Agrikol, the much anticipated restaurant from Arcade Fire and Toronto's The Black Hoof? Partner Jen Agg tweets: "I really can't wait for people to see the beautiful work of art Roland [Jean, Agg's husband and Black Hoof business partner] has created on a 22 ft wall as a whole, finished piece. It's STUNNING".
9. Vancouver native Patrick Wright is the new chef at Moishes.
10. Peruvian restaurant El 77 recently opened, somewhat quietly, on Bernard in Mile End. On the menu: traditional Peruvian sandwiches, arroz con pollo, tamales, empanadas, and more.